The Student Experience Office (SEO) and Office of Student Affairs at Carleton University ensures that new students make a successful transition to university life by preparing them to achieve personal and academic goals through co-curricular opportunities, events, and support programs.
My Role as a Communications Lead
As the Digital Communications Lead, I acted as the website coordinator and lead 3 students on a number of multichannel marketing programs across the university. My days at Carleton were spent acting as a liaison with campus departments and stakeholders to drive consistent and organized communication on the website and media platforms such as social media, brochures, posters, and e-mail marketing.
Provided presentations on topics of:
- Fall Orientation: Digital Safety to 200+ students
- Fall Orientation: Alcohol and Drug Awareness to 500+ students
- Peer Helper Professional Workshop: Networking Strategies to 12 students
I utilized print posters, TV advertisements, brochures, social media, email, in person announcements, and our website to promote the office programs and events. Below were some of the examples I managed:
- Summer Orientation
- Ride for Less (fall 2016 and winter 2017)
- Campus Activity Board
- Fall Orientation and Walk Off The Earth
- SOAR and Arlene Dickinson as the keynote speaker ( campaign example below)
- The Mentorship Program
- Alternative Spring Break recruitment
- See Mother Mother Live Contest
- Ottawa Senators tickets
- The SEO Present: Arkells
- Summer Orientation Hiring campaign
- Write weekly email updates about office events and announcements for 20,000+ students.
- Run Summer Orientation and Fall Orientation engagement emails to connect with new students attending Carleton in the fall.
Website and Analytics
I utilized the website as the ecosystem for all websites and programs and provided bi-weekly Google analytics for the Carleton.ca/seo website. On a weekly basis, I managed and updated the following websites:
Accomplishments for the Student Experience Office website (carleton.ca/seo)
- Time spent on page by 17%.
- Website visitors by 15%.
- Sessions via social media by 16%.
I managed the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
- Increased Facebook followers by 27%.
- Increase Twitter followers by 26%.
- I opened the new Instagram account to further connect and foster relationships with students.
Social Media Examples
Key campaign: #CUSOAR!
Goal: Get Carleton University talking about SOAR, the Student Leadership Conference.
Timeline: September 2016 – January 2017
Strategy: Working with all members planning the conference, we developed a promotional timeline for media releases, social media, posters, brochures, buttons and TV ads.
Results: The conference was sold-out and “#CUSOAR” was trending in Ottawa on Twitter throughout event.